Good news, everyone!
My Füsun Teyze and her boyfriend Carl have now married! I was there, and I was an usher! It was quite cool.
But though this event is near and dear to my heart, I wanted to also commemorate the normalization of relations between Turkey and Armenia. The Nagorno-Karabakh War between Armenia and Azerbaijan prompted Turkey to seal its Armenian border and cut ties in 1993. Tough times lie ahead, but this was a big step for both countries. Especially interesting will be the results of an independent investigation into the Armenian Genocide that started in 1915, and how each country and their diasporae (is that a word? Firefox says yes!) react. It's really a relief to see some concrete movement towards peace and stability in the we're-part-of-UEFA-but-not-generally-considered-part-of-Europe-exactly region.
Speaking of UEFA and Turkey, I am sad to report that Turkey's World Cup dreams for 2010 have officially ended with a victory by Bosnia-Herzegovina over Estonia in the UEFA qualifiers. Incidentally, Armenia was in the same group, but they were already eliminated. Anyway, good luck to Bosnia, I suppose. They'd better fucking win it all if they're going to go beating Turkey's asses in.
(Post edited to change the awful EUFA into UEFA. That was embarrassing. The embarrassing lack of flow and awesomeness, however, shall remain.)
But though this event is near and dear to my heart, I wanted to also commemorate the normalization of relations between Turkey and Armenia. The Nagorno-Karabakh War between Armenia and Azerbaijan prompted Turkey to seal its Armenian border and cut ties in 1993. Tough times lie ahead, but this was a big step for both countries. Especially interesting will be the results of an independent investigation into the Armenian Genocide that started in 1915, and how each country and their diasporae (is that a word? Firefox says yes!) react. It's really a relief to see some concrete movement towards peace and stability in the we're-part-of-UEFA-but-not-generally-considered-part-of-Europe-exactly region.
Speaking of UEFA and Turkey, I am sad to report that Turkey's World Cup dreams for 2010 have officially ended with a victory by Bosnia-Herzegovina over Estonia in the UEFA qualifiers. Incidentally, Armenia was in the same group, but they were already eliminated. Anyway, good luck to Bosnia, I suppose. They'd better fucking win it all if they're going to go beating Turkey's asses in.
(Post edited to change the awful EUFA into UEFA. That was embarrassing. The embarrassing lack of flow and awesomeness, however, shall remain.)
Labels: Turkey, World Cup 2010, world events

6 Comments:
At 11 October, 2009 03:16,
Posidonius of Apameia said…
Pardon me, Brother!
But why did you transfer from George Washington University to University of Texas, especially for economics?
Isn't GW better than UT?
At 11 October, 2009 10:53,
Das Goat said…
When I was contemplating leaving GWU because the school made me so sad inside I started looking around at my options. At the time I'd actually thought UT to be vastly superior to GWU when it came to academics in general.
However, if US News and World Report is anything to go by, Texas is only marginally better (but still better) than GWU. The course requirements and syllabi that I could find for UT courses also seemed much more rigorous. And when you compare graduate programs in Economics--which is a very poor indicator of undergraduate program strength but one of the very few things I have to look at--UT also far outstrips GWU.
Finally, as a Texas resident my overall costs of attendance were about $7000 per semester at UT, while as a scholarship recipient at GWU I shelled out $17000.
So that's why!
Now I'm tremendously curious: who are you, how did you get here, how did you come to know what you know about me, and why did you choose this relatively unrelated post to comment on?
At 11 October, 2009 19:21,
Posidonius of Apameia said…
I am a double major:mathematics and philosophy.
After browsing the internet for some mathematical websites, I stumbled upon
http://lemeshko.blogspot.com/2009/01/greatest-math-problem-ever.html
After reading some comments, I have noticed your post and especially payed attention that you minored in mathematics. So I assumed that you have some information related to mathematics on your blog. Fully determined to overcome my curiosity, I embarked on the journey of skimming through your entire blog in order to find any relevant information about mathematics or economics for that matter. To my immeasurable chagrin, I have not found any (except the description of your courses and some of your ideas on economics). My question about GWU vs UT was a matter of curiosity, and I have posted my question on the last of your posts. So if you do not mind telling me, what courses have you taken in mathematics in order to get a minor in mathematics?
Feel free to ask any questions, I will be glad to answer them.
At 11 October, 2009 23:44,
Das Goat said…
Hahaha. I think I found that post through the Volokh Conspiracy. I felt kind of silly immediately after leaving my comment--and I still do.
As for math in general, college showed me just how ordinary my skills were. I briefly considered getting a double major, but my middling talent, lack of time, and decreasing interest in pursuing graduate work in economics nipped that idea in the bud.
I wound up taking calculus, discrete math, differential equations, a basic statistics class, linear algebra, and real analysis. I believe I actually needed only twelve hours, six of which needed to be upper division, so the first three items ought to have sufficed.
I'm sorry that you had to wade through all my posts to find that there was nothing in there that you wanted. Hopefully you were able to take the edge off by learning to be as interested in me as I am.
So why are you so interested in reading about math? And how long and where have you been studying?
At 25 October, 2009 16:06,
Anonymous said…
I need a small favor of you. Could you send me a description of how you best remember Canti? Height, build, haircolor, eyecolor, clothes, species, well.. everything?
I don't need anything else, just that, you can forum PM it if you want.
At 28 October, 2009 07:25,
Anonymous said…
By the way, this is kind of important, so if you see this could you PM his clothes/species/colors/hairstyle/height/build/etc. within the week? :x Thank you.
Post a Comment
<< Home