Hasta la Byebye

Om nom nom

Saturday, January 12, 2019

A message from a bygone era

What follows below is a post that has been living in my Drafts section for this blog since 1/22/2005. I think I left it there because I realized as I wrote it that it was terrible, and a bit out of character even for young college me. However, I've made some minor adjustments to make it (slightly) less cringey, and now will post it mostly for my personal enjoyment.

---

Hey folks. I'm really hungry, but I'm quite happy too. This whole day it seems like I've been graced by the zone, and let me tell you, I welcome it gladly. The following may be construed as a relatively bland description of the day's events, but I'm in the mood to remember today since it felt pretty nice.

The beginning started off a bit rockily with my IAFF (Introduction to International Affairs) class. It's sort of a given that Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays will start rockily because of IAFF, really, so it doesn't indicate much. The speech given by our Elliott School of International Affairs's dean was pretty boring, and I managed to temporarily lose one glove back in the classroom.

After IAFF, I was to go to my first session of Basketball Officiating, which is taught by a fellow by the name of Broska. I never really knew what Broska did, but I'd heard his name mentioned a bit around campus. As it turns out, he is (very fittingly) the sort of head referee for GW and he's in charge of intramural sports. So he's competent. He's also not a big fan of making us stay very long, which is nice. The class, you see, lasts for 110 minutes according to the schedule, but he promised us that he would rarely keep us for that long. So I was happy. Also, he mentioned job opportunities as a referee for the intramural leagues, which would be a cool way to earn pocket change to keep in mind.

Refreshed by this idea, I walked the four cold blocks back to my dorm and then went down to J Street (which is right next door for those that are unaware). When I arrived, I found that the line for Wendy's--where I'd planned to go--was pretty much the longest that I'd ever seen it. Ever. So instead, I went to the comparatively empty pizza line, where I picked up two slices of cheese pizza that were quite reminiscent of Turkish pide, which made me feel very happy inside.

After I ate lunch, I did a whole lot of nothing until about 2:30, when I ventured down to Room 601A, where my girlfriend and her friend Sameeah reside. I informed them that I would be eating dinner at something around 5:15, owing to the fact that I had callbacks for The Beauty Queen of Leeanne to attend--oh yeah, I made callbacks, by the way. (W00t! ^.^)

They were uncertain whether or not they could accompany me at so early a time, and I merely tipped my hat and skipped out of the room. When I got back to my humble abode, I heartily began reading some very exciting literature for my awesome IAFF class. Soon enough I was setting the alarm to wake me up forty minutes later. I woke up for good an hour and twenty minutes later, but it felt nice.

I then fetched Dan, my suitemate, and went down to harass the ladies of 601A. Five minutes later, it was about 5:10, so I trekked out into the cold for about thirty seconds on my way to Wendy's, where the line was considerably shorter this time around. I returned to hang out with Danielle, Sameeah, Dan, and Ashley (the Irish girl who wants my head, but bought me my goat necklace anyway). Soon enough, I finished my food and made my way down to the callbacks, arriving at approximately 5:54, with the thing starting about fifteen minutes later, giving me some time to mingle with my competition, all of whom seemed freakishly enough to know each other already.

---

(The post ends here. But I did get the part of Ray Dooley in the end! Even with my braces and my terrible Irish accent, I was able to have a lot of fun with that role, and it made me feel more integrated in college life. I would like to thank Finn for taking the chance on me.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Blog Directory - Blogged