Pf? Why not just F?
At George Washington, we didn't have very many hawkers. Maybe some environmentalists with their dark blue windbreakers or some other political activists, but no one home-grown. The contrast at UT can be pretty sharp, at least if you're in the right spot. In the courtyard west of the main building and in front of the Academic Center and Student Union, there is often a gathering of assorted groups during the schooldays. Many of them, especially the one-shot wonders, have something they want to give to you or something they want you to sign up for. So they hawk. Sometimes it's kind of humorous ("Hey, do you want to play dodgeball?"), sometimes it's rather serious ("Would you like a free cookie to fight cancer?") and sometimes it's extremely annoying ("Burn Orange? Burn Orange? Burn Orange? Burn Orange?" like the fucking birds that squwak outside my window at home). As is sometimes necessary, I accepted some of the stuff that was easy to take--a card for an upcoming talent show, the Texas Travesty, the cancer cookie. I figure it makes the hawkers feel loved.
I also saw a little table with "fair trade chocolate" on it. It made me kind of shudder. It was good though, like pinching the economist part of me to make sure it's still awake.
Oh, and on that statistics exam that I blogged about recently, I lost exactly one point to put me at 14/15. So that was three in a row. But I can exalt that I managed to break the trend in my differential equations class, where I pulled out 57/60. I don't know if putting a halt to that pattern is good in and of itself, but that's okay; it was the #2 score in the class. Shazam!
Sadly, I seem to be operating at a lower level of performance today. Even aside from this entry, which feels more like it's forcing events than letting them flow, I was a clumsy and awkward mess in economics this morning when I volunteered several bits of speech while oblivious to key bits of information, like the fact that we did have a utility function and that he did put parentheses there. Towards the end of the class I became preoccupied with not seeming like a jackhole, and this naturally just made things worse. It's like my intelligence has suddenly diminished. I just hope that it wears off soon.
I also saw a little table with "fair trade chocolate" on it. It made me kind of shudder. It was good though, like pinching the economist part of me to make sure it's still awake.
Oh, and on that statistics exam that I blogged about recently, I lost exactly one point to put me at 14/15. So that was three in a row. But I can exalt that I managed to break the trend in my differential equations class, where I pulled out 57/60. I don't know if putting a halt to that pattern is good in and of itself, but that's okay; it was the #2 score in the class. Shazam!
Sadly, I seem to be operating at a lower level of performance today. Even aside from this entry, which feels more like it's forcing events than letting them flow, I was a clumsy and awkward mess in economics this morning when I volunteered several bits of speech while oblivious to key bits of information, like the fact that we did have a utility function and that he did put parentheses there. Towards the end of the class I became preoccupied with not seeming like a jackhole, and this naturally just made things worse. It's like my intelligence has suddenly diminished. I just hope that it wears off soon.
Labels: hawkers, stupid brain, trends

2 Comments:
At 20 February, 2007 20:21,
Anonymous said…
Personally, I kind of enjoy the free condoms. Last week I got a Valentine's Day card with a free condom AND Mardi Gras beads with a condom attached at the end. I think you've been hanging around the wrong parts of the West Mall. Or maybe I have?
At 20 February, 2007 23:07,
Damian said…
I can relate, my brain has also been slow lately. I share your jackhole sentiments, Ive decided to back off on the comments in my eco class because i thought people were starting to get annoyed but no one else says anything, very frustrating.
Post a Comment
<< Home